Company: Next Professionals Services Limited
Deadline: July 31, 2020
External Website Scholarship 4 months ago
The DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Scholarship Programme serves to support future leaders from developing countries who want to promote democracy and social justice in their home countries in obtaining the required education and skills needed to do this. The programme is only open to students intending to pursue master’s degree programme that is relevant to social, political and economic development in the Country of origin of the student at any of the eight (8) selected German Universities. The programme is funded by the German Federal Foreign Office and highly qualified graduates with a first academic degree will be educated in political science, law, economics and administration, which will prepare them for future leading positions in their home countries.
Who can apply?
The scholarship programme is open to graduates from developing countries (see list of countries) in the field of social sciences, political sciences, law, economics and in public administration.
The programme is open for very well qualified graduates with a first university degree (bachelor or equivalent) who want to actively contribute to the social and economic development of their home countries. It is offered both for young graduates without professional experience and for mid-career professionals.
What is fundable?
1. Scholarship of monthly 850 € for selected master's programmes at German institutions of higher education listed below.
The study programmes are usually starting in Sep/Oct 2021 and are taught in German and/or English.
Contributions to health insurance in Germany
2. Appropriate travel allowance
3. Study and research subsidy
4. Monthly rent subsidy where applicable,
5. Allowances for spouses and/or children where applicable.
6. six-months-German language course from April 2021 to September 2021. The language course takes place at selected institutes in Germany and usually not at the universities of the selected MA programmes. The language course is compulsory also for those who attend a master ́s course taught in English.
7. The scholarship holders are offered a special tutoring at their host institutions financed by DAAD. Furthermore, the scholars are invited to participate at different networking events. DAAD-scholarship holders within the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme are exempted from tuition fees.
8. Due to its blended-learning-concept the following special conditions are laid down to finance the study programme “Analysis and design of social protection systems”:
9. During the online semester in your home country or another developing country DAAD providesa sur-place-rate of 500 EUR.
10. Allowances for spouses and/or children are not applicable, as far as the programme includes study-phases in Germany and in your home country.
11. The scholarship holders are offered a special tutoring at their host institutions financed by DAAD. Furthermore, the scholars are invited to participate at different networking events. DAAD-scholarship holders within the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme are exempted from tuition fees.
Main DAAD selection criteria:
1. Academic degree with far above average results (upper third)
2. language skills (every university has different language proficiency requirements)
3. political and social engagement
4. a convincing description of the subject-related and personal motivation for the study project in Germany
expected benefit when returning to the home country or region
5. Most recent university degree should be obtained in the last six years prior to the application for the scholarship.
6. Applicants who have stayed in Germany for more than 15 months at the time of the application deadline are not considered as eligible. All master's courses have further additional requirements that must be fulfilled by the applicants in any case.
Applications must be submitted in German or English.
Please indicate that you are applying for the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme (Master’s scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance). You are allowed to submit your application for up to two master`s courses listed below.
Fill in the DAAD Application form for Research Grants and Study Scholar-ships (annex 2) only once making clear which study course is your first and which is your second priority.
Write a single letter of motivation for both university courses you choose, justifying your first and second priority choice.
Send the DAAD scholarship form together with the letter of motivation and accompanied with the necessary documents listed below to the two universities of your choice. Do NOT send it to DAAD.
List of Universities offering the Master Courses that Applications MUST be sent to directly
You can choose between the following universities, alphabetically listed by city:
1. Hochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg: Analysis and Design of Social Protection Systems (language of instruction: English, programme duration: 4 semesters)
Blended-learning concept: 1st semester at the university
2nd online semester ordinarily in Germany
3rd practical semester in Germany or in your home country or in a third country
4th online semester to prepare your master-thesis in your home country or other developing country
Contact: Ms. Kerstin Schickendanz
2. Universität Duisburg-Essen: Master of Development and Governancelanguage of instruction: English, programme duration: 2 semesters)
contact: Mr. Georg Lammich
3. Willy Brandt School of Public Policy at the University of Erfurt: Master of Public Policy (MPP)
(language of instruction: English, programme duration: 4 semesters) http://www.brandtschool.de/master-program/helmut-schmidt-pro-gramme/
Please apply online at http://www.brandtschool.de/admissions/
contact: Mr. Florian Heintze
4. Universität Magdeburg: Peace and Conflict Studies (language of instruction: English, programme duration: 4 semesters)
contact: Ms. Olivia Alphons
5. Hochschule Osnabrück: Management in Non-Profit-Organisations (language of instruction: German, programme duration: 4 semesters)
contact: Ms. Marlene Eimterbäumer
6. Universität Passau: Development Studies (language of instruction: English, programme duration: 4 semesters)
contact: Mr. Thomas Eibl
7. Universität Passau: Master of Governance and Public Policy (languages of instruction: English and German, programme duration: 4 semesters)
contact: Mr. Thomas Eibl
8. Universität Potsdam: Master of Public Management (MPM) (language of instruction: English, programme duration: 2 semesters
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org: Ms. Laura Hecht
Please ensure that you meet all admission requirements of the master`s course of your choice before you apply at a maximum of two universities listed above
Tertiary School Administrators, Secondary School Administrators, Counsellors in Tertiary School, Counsellors in Secondary School, Tertiary Students
Nigeria, Algeria, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Egypt, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Malawi, Mali, Mozambique, Morocco, Niger, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Togo, Zambia, Zimbabwe
Duration of Scholarship:
July 31, 2020
Mode of Accessing Shortlisted Candidates:
Other Forms of Online Assessment
Mode of Application: